To foster a community of members who advance the science and technology and provide forums for the theoretical and practical considerations of intelligent control techniques and their application to devices and systems.
Intelligent control, the discipline where control algorithms are developed by emulating certain characteristics of biological systems and being fueled by recent advancements in computing technology and is emerging as a technology that may open avenues for significant technological advances. The characteristics include adaptation and learning, planning under large uncertainty and coping with large amounts of data. Today, the area of intelligent control tends to encompass everything that is not characterized as conventional control; it has, however, shifting boundaries and what is called "intelligent control" today, will probably be called "control" tomorrow.
The committee is dedicated to introduce and discuss different topics related to the emerging area of Intelligent Control since 1985. The Technical Committee has several active members, with many other researchers in the field benefiting from its activities. Benefiting from both academic and significant industrial participation, the committee coordinates activities towards understanding of the challenges, problems and effective methods of controlling complex systems.
The research outcome of TCIC members is published annually in ‘International Symposium on Intelligent Control’, as part of CSS supported IEEE Multi Conference on Systems and Control, and in other major conferences such as American Control Conference and the IEEE Conference on Decision and Control via invited technical sessions. The IEEE Technical Committee on Intelligent Control regularly and synergistically collaborates with similar organizations such as IEEE Computational Intelligence. Other activities of the committee include organization of special issues in IEEE journals.
Topics of interest:
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Architectures for intelligent control
- Hierarchical intelligent control
- Autonomous systems and control
- Distributed intelligent systems
- Modeling intelligent systems
- Mathematical analysis of intelligent systems
- Hybrid systems
- Design techniques for intelligent controllers
- Neural networks / neural control
- Fuzzy systems / fuzzy control
- Genetic algorithms
- Particle swarm optimization
- Machine learning / adaptive systems
- Knowledge-based and expert systems
- Planning systems
- Reconfigurable control
- Multisensor fusion / integration
- Failure detection and identification
Applications include but not limited to:
- Space systems and robotics
- Manufacturing systems
- Automotive systems / automated highway systems
- Aircraft / spacecraft
- Underwater / land vehicles/UAVs
- Process control
- Consumer products